What You Should Know About The Covid-19 Vaccine:
- Both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines (which are approved for use in the USA) are mRNA vaccines. These vaccines “instruct” our cells to make a piece of the “spike protein” found on the surface of the coronavirus (those red spikes we see in representations of what the virus looks like). Our immune system recognizes that this protein does not belong and produces antibodies to fight it. Now, the body has learned to protect itself from the virus!
- mRNA vaccines DO NOT use the live virus that causes COZAD-19
- These vaccines DO NOT interact with our DNA in any way (mWRA cannot enter the nucleus of a cell which is where our DNA is found), and as soon as our cells use the directions in the mRNA, it is broken down and discarded.
- There has been complete transparency around the “ingredients” of the vaccine (you can find the lists of ingredients on the cdc.gov website). There are NO aluminum, mercury, latex, preservatives, or food allergen ingredients (like eggs).
- The Pfizer vaccine has been shown 95% effective and is approved for those over age 16. This is given in two doses 21 days apart.
- The Moderna vaccine has been shown 94.5% effective and is approved for those over age 18. This one is given in two doses 28 days apart.