Facts About The Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 Vaccine:
- The J&J vaccine has recently received EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) from the FDA based on science and its proven ability to fight infections from this coronavirus. (All of the three vaccines currently being used in the USA have had an EUA.)
- The J&J vaccine used “Viral Vector” technology which means that it uses a piece of a similar virus that has been engineered to infect cells but not replicate throughout the body. It delivers genetic instructions to the body to temporarily produce those distinctive “spike” proteins so our immune systems learn to recognize and fight off the virus that causes COVID-19.
- This virus cells that enter your body with the vaccine cannot spread and cannot make you sick.
- The Johnson & Johnson vaccine trials were held later in the pandemic as variants of the virus were beginning to spread widely. It has been shown about 67% effective in preventing mild to moderate disease and about 85% effective in preventing more severe disease. After full efficacy (about 4 weeks post inoculation), it was 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death. It is approved for those over age 18.
- This vaccine is given in ONE dose and can be stored and transported at regular refrigeration temperatures. It is also free of allergen ingredients.