When facing the possibility of breast cancer, having a team working for you is the best resource for your health. At May-Grant OB/GYN, we can provide a 3D mammography to help diagnose the early warning signs of breast cancer and other abnormalities and provide extensive treatment options for your health.
A 3D mammography is a screening test that combines multiple breast scans to create a three-dimensional picture of your breast. While these mammograms are often used to look for breast cancer, 3D mammographies can also be used to investigate issues with breast pain, abnormal masses, and signs of nipple discharge.
3D mammograms combine 3D images with standard mammograms, help reduce the need for additional imaging and increase the cancer detection and prevention rate. By working with this technology, our radiologists, technicians, and physicians can effectively provide preventative care for women at higher risk of breast problems. During the diagnostic procedure, our team can perform a 3D mammogram through the following steps:
- Preparation: At our 3D mammography suite, our team will provide you with a gown, asking you to remove any clothing or necklaces that may interfere with the screening.
- Gradual Pressure: Once your breast is placed on the platform, your breast is gradually pressed against the platform to spread out the breast tissue. While the pressure isn’t harmful, we can gladly accommodate if it becomes too painful.
- Image Collection: Throughout the screening, the 3D mammogram machine will collect images at different angles for both breasts. The process is repeated until every position can be collected.
- Analysis and Screening: After the images are collected, the images are synthesized to our computers to form a 3D picture of your breasts to be examined in greater detail.
Through our 3D mammography suite, every patient can get a mammogram alongside their well-woman visits, regular exams, and other treatments. Our suite includes features that help our patients excel in their health, including:
- Convenient, Continuous Care: Our team can schedule your 3D Mammography as part of your well-woman visit and provide continuous screening services to manage your sexual and reproductive health better.
- Privacy and Comfort: Our suite offers privacy, meaning we work with one patient at a time and give our patients the comfort they need to get their 3D mammogram at our practice.
- In-House Screening and Labs: Our team can offer additional screening and laboratory tests through our state-of-the-art equipment if any concerns arise.
- Leading Team of Board-Certified Physicians: Our team of midwives, technicians, certified nurse practitioners, radiologists, and physicians is here to help you gain the most out of your care, as we have been voted the number one practice in the area for years and dedicate ourselves to providing the best women’s healthcare possible.
Preparing for Your Mammogram
To ensure the best possible images are obtained, we recommend scheduling your mammogram when your breasts are least likely to be tender, avoiding the week before your period. On the day of your exam, refrain from using deodorants, antiperspirants, or powders, as these can appear as white spots on the images.
Incorporating 3D mammography into regular breast cancer screening can significantly enhance early detection and treatment success. Our team at May-Grant OB/GYN is dedicated to leveraging this technology to provide superior breast care.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is 3D mammography safe?
A: Yes, 3D mammography is safe. The radiation dose is slightly higher than traditional mammography but within FDA-approved safety standards.
Q: Who should have a 3D mammogram?
A: 3D mammography is beneficial for all women undergoing breast cancer screening, especially those with dense breast tissue or a higher risk of breast cancer.
Q: How often should I have a 3D mammogram?
A: Recommendations vary based on individual risk factors, but generally, annual mammograms are advised for women starting at age 40.
Q: What if an abnormality is detected?
A: If an abnormality is found, we will guide you through the next steps, which may include additional imaging or biopsy, in a supportive and informative manner.
Schedule Your Advanced 3D Mammogram Today
At May-Grant OB/GYN, we provide high-quality women’s health care through preventative screenings and advanced treatment. If you need a wellness checkup, have health concerns, or require an annual breast cancer screening, contact our practice today to schedule an online or in-person appointment. Contact us at 717-397-8177 to schedule your mammogram and take a proactive step towards maintaining your breast health.