Overcoming infertility can be challenging, but you can find safe and effective ways to improve your chances of getting pregnant through treatment. At May-Grant OB/GYN, our team can provide fertility treatments to help increase your chances of getting pregnant so that you can start a family.
What is Infertility?
Infertility is the inability to become pregnant after a year of trying to conceive. Some infertile women may have irregular or absent periods, and unless you’ve been trying to get pregnant, then it can be a problem.
While infertility can occur at any age, infertility most often occurs in specific scenarios, including:
- Women under age 35 who isn’t pregnant after a year of regular, unprotected sex
- Women aged 35-40 who aren’t pregnant after six months of regular, unprotected sex
- Women over 40 who desire to have a baby
- Any woman who experiences irregular menstrual cycles or a health condition that impacts fertility.
In most cases, most causes of infertility are related to male partners, but in other cases, women may experience infertility due to causes such as:
- Ovulation Issues: Women who don’t ovulate regularly often experience fertility issues in 25-30% of couples.
- Fallopian Tube Problems: If the fallopian tube blocks sperm from reaching the egg, it can lead to a higher risk of infertility in about 20-30% of couples.
- Endometriosis: As a primary cause of infertility, uterine lining growth can cause scarring and inflammation, causing infertility in about 5-10% of couples.
At May-Grant OB/GYN, we can provide infertility evaluations to assess your symptoms and recommend treatment. These treatments are generally provided after tests to give you the best chance of getting pregnant.
Treatments For Infertility at May-Grant OB/GYN
Testing is one of the best ways to help increase fertility chances. Tests such as ovulation, hormonal, and imaging tests can track down ovary egg release. Once a healthy ovarian egg can be gathered, some treatments can be provided to help induce fertility. Some of these treatment methods include:
- Fertility Medications: As the primary treatment for infertility, these medications help regulate and induce ovulation for infertile women due to ovulation disorders.
- Intrauterine Insemination: Through this treatment, healthy sperm are placed directly into the uterus during ovulation, and a timed treatment can be coordinated to help produce a pregnancy.
- In-Vitro Fertilization: In-vitro fertilization works by retrieving mature eggs and fertilizing them with sperm. The embryo is reinserted into the mother’s uterus or through a gestational carrier.
- Surgeries For Fertility: Some surgeries can be performed with assisted reproductive technology to remove problems such as endometrial polyps, intrauterine scars, and other adhesions or growths that may prevent pregnancy. Depending on the cause of your infertility, large fibroids, pelvic adhesions, and symptoms of endometriosis may require different surgical techniques, such as laparoscopic surgery.
Our team at May-Grant OB/GYN can work with you to help build the life you want and give you high-quality women’s health services. Through our team of midwives, nurse practitioners, and physicians, we provide women’s health services throughout our eight Lancaster County, PA, locations. For more information, schedule an appointment at your nearest practice in person or online to learn more about your options.